Announcing Our 2014 Summer Showcase Contest Winner!
Congratulations to Mona Jain, the winner of our 2014 Summer Showcase Contest! Mona made an amazing pop-up card that combines three-dimensional paper art and paper quilling. To check out more of her work, visit her blog Quilling Ideas!
Pop-up cards are a great twist on traditional homemade cards, and the extra effort is well worth the reaction you’ll get from your family and friends. Pop-up cards may look elaborate, but they’re very simple to make! Mona put together a great tutorial to show you how.
Make Your Own Pop-Up Card
- Card stock (this tutorial uses Ivory)
- Designer Paper
- Paper Cutter
- 1/8” Quilling Strips (in turquoise, ivory, crimson, green)
- Quilling Tool
- All-Purpose Gel Adhesive, Snail Adhesive, Glue Stick, or Glue Dots
- Ink Pad
- Border Punch & Heart Punch
- Butterfly Accents
- Rhinestones & Pearl stones
- Take 5-1/2” x 11” ivory cardstock and score at 2-5/8”, 5-1/4”, 7-7/8”, and 10-1/2” on the 11” side. Score at 3” on 5-1/2” side.
- Cut out a notch on the left 2-1/2” side.
- Fold properly on all the vertical score lines.
- Cut 3 vertical lines on 2-1/2“ side.
- Fold on first 3 horizontal lines starting from 1/2” flap side.
- Cut designer paper in the following dimensions: 1 strip of 2-1/2” x 5-3/8” and 3 strips of 2-1/2” x 2-7/8”.
- Glue these strips on the bottom part of the card.
- Cut 3 strips of size 2-1/2” x 2-3/8” of the designer paper and glue them on the folded flaps.
- Cut 1 strip of size 2-1/2” x 2-3/8” of the designer paper and glue it on the upper part of opposite side of the card.
- Glue the 1/2” flap to the opposite side. You will get a standing box.
- Cut 2 pieces of Ivory color cardstock measuring 1-1/2” x 3-5/8”. Score both sides at 1/2” so that you are left with middle dimension on 2-5/8” (which is the dimension of the one side of the box). Fold at score lines in opposite direction so that you get a ‘Z’ fold.
- Glue the 1/2” flaps and paste it in the middle of the box so the middle of box is divided into 3 equal parts.
- Make all the quilled embellishments. Stamp the sentiments on a piece of ivory cardstock and cut them out. Punch some hearts out of red card stock. Punch a strip of ivory cardstock with a border punch.
- Mount all the quilled flowers on strips of ivory cardstock.
- Start arranging the quilled flowers on to the box and follow as shown in steps 16, 17, and 18.
We at The Paper Mill Store are so happy to share Mona’s beautiful pop-up card with you! To get the full three-dimensional experience, check out this video of Mona’s card.